The fact that you are, likely means one of these things:
- You have a genuine interest in spiritual formation.
- You are bone-weary in your spiritual journey and not sure if you should say so out loud–and you’re wishing there was something more/else.
- You are a cynic about Christian spirituality and are hoping for a good laugh.
- A link or web search randomly landed you here.
- You are hurt and disappointed by unmet expectations of community–not willing to connect in person yet not wanting to disconnect entirely either.
- You are one angry click, one epithet, one disappointment shy of turning away from the God who holds you.
- You and I have known one another in the past and you are curious about what I am up to.
I am Gwen Shipley. I am Christian–which I say with the conviction of an alcoholic at her first Twelve-Step meeting. It’s as deeply seated in me to live life in a foggy, moralistic stupor as it is normal for a functional alcoholic to show up daily to work, intoxicated and only slightly judgment-impaired.
However, I have undergone a major shift of orientation: a transition from external compliance to internal consent. Since it is not just a traveled distance between two points, but a real thing of its own, I explore and write about it here, currently working on a book and other supporting materials around the same theme.
What to expect…
Spiritual formation relies heavily on the awareness of what has, what is and what can shape the nature of our relationship with and experience of God, which largely depends on my openness to God. So I’m always thinking about and looking for what helps us in that posture. I try to post a couple of times a week, plus or minus. You’ll find…
- Hope, encouragement, laughter, lament…real life
- Lists for those who can’t resist them
- Formational perspectives on scripture
- Seasonal series
- The occasional rant for you to weigh in on
- Updates on projects I’m working on
- Stories of Freedom Finders
- Links to friends I hope you’ll enjoy meeting
- A few reviews–books, movies, videos
- Original poetry and songs
- A community with needs and longings as unique as your own
- Most of all, healing and rest for your soul
…all to help you on your way.
You can read it here if you’re so inclined.
Offering up, in a variety of forms, what has been entrusted to me–musician, writer and spiritual director–my current work is focused on the integration of the interior life with one’s lived experience. I have the joy of listening, faciliating and celebrating as people recover from life’s wounds, uncover their true selves and discover what it means to be fully loved by God–not because I’ve mastered it, but because I continue to marvel at the miracle and mystery, and find great joy in sharing it.
[Affiliate Disclosure: gwenshipley.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. In other words, it helps makes this work possible.]