I’ve been immersed again in the wisdom that the enneagram offers (and apparently a lot more since it’s now Day 12!).
The Enneagram offers an awareness of the filters through which we see; how we view ourselves, experience God and interact with one another, for better and for worse.
Awareness at the capacity available to humans is a gift bestowed on no other creature. It is foundational to the understanding necessary for growing safe, loving relationships with God, ourselves and others.
Especially at this time of year, awareness travels a meaningful path.
- Awareness with intent toward appreciation leads to gratitude.
- Gratitude assumes a source.
- Source points to “in the beginning.”
As a 4 on the E-gram, I’m not a fan of the church year’s Ordinary Time– or ordinary anything else, for that matter. In spite of it not being my natural habitat, I’m learning through practicing awareness, to value the ordinary.
October is the last of it and is a great build-up to Festival season. All Saints Day then November with its focus on gratitude. Thanksgiving, Christ the King Sunday then right into Advent.
Yep, it’s here folks! Right around the corner. Almost time to untangle the tree lights.
And when I pull the lens back into the present, all of a sudden, ordinary time is anything but. In fact…
- a glance out the window at the brilliant Autumn hues
- the joyful chaos of kids’ Fall sports
- breathing the stimulating chill of morning’s air
- monitoring weather reports for mountain pass travel
- sitting in a surgery waiting room
- celebrating milestone birthdays
…all nudge me into full consciousness. I am reminded that the present moment is gift. I am alive. I am aware.